Thursday, February 21, 2013

Occupational Therapy: US ARMY

OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY IN THE US ARMY

For this week's open blog post, I decided to look into how someone could become an occupational therapist in the U.S Army. It is something that is always in the back of my mind when I think of where I am going with this career. I went directly to GoArmy.com and found very helpful information. 

DUTIES 
Occupational therapists in the U.S Army have opportunities to work in U.S Army medical centers along with community hospitals and clinics or field medical units. There are many duties listed that an OT must be ready to do. The duties are as follows: conducting battlefield unit needs assessments in order to determine the mental health status of the unit, apply treatment to soldiers suffering from combat and operational stress, treat upper extremity neuromuscular injuries and disorders to return solders to the optimal level for duty, help to advance performance by providing energy conserving and work simplification procedures, supervise occupational therapy technicians while treating, and serve as a commander of companies, battalions, brigades, and medical treatment facilities.  

REQUIREMENTS 

Requirements for Active Duty Members
 In order to become an occupational therapist in the U.S Army, you must have a bachelor's degree in an accredited occupational therapy program, along with completed field work. You must also be certified by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, be between the ages of 21 and 42-although wavers may be requested for age- and be a U.S citizen. Students who are graduation from an accredited school within 6 months may apply for U.S active army service. 

Requirements for Army Reserve Members
Members of the Army Reserve must have permanent U.S residency and a license in occupational therapy along with the requirements above.


To me, the army is a bit of an intimidating thing. I respect those who enlist in the military greatly, but I'm not sure if it is something that I can do. After researching, I see that there is a lot more requirements then I had originally thought to become an OT in the U.S Army, however it would be a very rewarding career and I can't think of a group of people who deserve the best care more than our soldiers. This topic is still somewhat unclear for me, so I decided to ask my Uncle who is a psychiatrist on a U.S Army base in Germany. I plan to post my further information when he gets back to me!

WORKS CITED 

"Occupational Therapist (65A)." U.S Army. N.p. N.d. Web. 21 February 2013.   


No comments:

Post a Comment